Friday, January 9, 2009

What a week!

Blaise was one week old yesterday and it's been the longest but also the most amazing week of all of our lives. It's been incredible to watch her go from desperately sick to strong and beautiful in so short a time. We all still have a lot of work to go and we know there will be some bad days mixed in with the good, but for now, we're happy to watch her grow and heal. She has hit her "goal calories" on her IV nutrition, so she should begin gaining weight and getting stronger over the next few days and weeks.

In an interesting coincidence, there was a story in the Boston Globe this morning about a treatment being pioneered at Children's Hospital Boston that helps kids with short bowel syndrome avoid the liver damage that tends to come with long-term IV nutrition. This is a treatment we've talked with Blaise's doctors about and she may become a good candidate for it at some point in the future, although it's too soon to start her on it now. It's also very inspiring to see pictures of the little girl in the article jumping around like a normal toddler in spite of the IV she has to wear all day. You can read the article here.

I would also like to direct your attention to the links to the left of the posts, which now include videos and pictures of Blaise. We don't take many photos because the light from the flash is kind of out of place in the NICU, but we'll try to keep updating those. She gets cuter all the time!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Erin,
ur baby is soooo cute!!!! hope she gets better.
- Lilly C.

Gran said...

I wish that I could convey to you all exactly how precious little Blaise is. She is so patient with all the adults swarming around her taking care of her every need. She seems to have a quiet faith that everything will work it self out and that her job is to just keep getting stronger.
I can't think of anything I'd rather do than hold her in my arms and sing the songs I sang when her mom was a baby. Everytime she looks up and smiles (yah..I know newborns supposedly don't smile, but I'm only telling you what I see)she steals another piece of my heart. It is going to be hard to leave her tomorrow, but I'll go back to KC knowing that she's getting the best care in the world and that she couldn't ask for better parents...Gran