Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Superstition

Before you, our friends, take any offense, be warned that we might not update to say that the blood is improving even if it's true. I'm beginning to suspect that the act of telling people that things are great on that front might be what causes the blood. I never thought of myself as a superstitious person, but now that I think of it, that might just be because I was comparing myself to a bunch of Irish Catholics.

Blaise is doing great, though. She doesn't seem to mind the Elecare-and-rice diet nearly as much as I would. We had a nice, relaxing at-home day, having cancelled her early intervention appointment yesterday when we thought we were being admitted to Children's. Instead, we played the very fun game of "Try to fold all of the socks before Blaise soaks them in drool." (She grabs them out of the pile and slimes them in a very systematic way.) I talked with the GI this afternoon and the current care plan is to stick with the status quo on food and go back to nightly steroid enemas until our clinic appointment next week. We're trying to adjust to the idea that this might just be what Blaise's gut does in response to many things and that the process of introducing solids could be very start-and-stop. It's frustrating because she's doing so well everywhere else. Even the GI doc said as much. It's hard to know what to do about a kid who is great but having one troubling symptom.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I say give up the superstition (and hope your mom doesn't soon read about the irish-catholic-thing) and go with the idependent variable: ice cream!

Blaise likes it and lots of good stuff gets set off in her body and brain, it's cool and soothes her insides and it's an alternative to elecare and rice...with a good result. How can you go wrong? And...I love avacados, but in the face of ice cream? No contest.